What is an event?
By Event we mean any conversion (desired action) type with any name you need to track (besides a standard conversion or transaction) – signup, deposit, registration, sale, upsell, install, lead, purchase, view content, add to cart, initiate checkout etc. There can be various events in your funnels depending on your needs and you can track all of them with RedTrack.
In RedTrack all your additional events can be tracked with the help of Conversion types (most commonly used) and Conversion statuses. Proceed further with this guide to check out the difference between the 2 event tracking modes and see which one fits you best.
When they are used
Conversion types are applied for the cases where you need to track even more conversion events. In RedTrack we have 20 customizable types.
How they are applied
To apply Conversion types act as follows:
1. On the main RedTrack menu navigate to Tools->Conversion tracking->Conversion type and add the needed events in the free fields under already prefilled ones. Remember to press Save, once you’ve added the events:
You can five your event any name you want, but make sure to insert to RedTrack the events with the exact same names chosen in the settings of your Network. For example, af_complete_registration can not be typed in just as registration, otherwise, your conversion may not be tracked correctly in RedTrack.
2. In the case of several conversions created by the same click id RedTrack offers you to use a separate duplicate postback mode for each event so that it would be possible to decide what action will be performed to that duplicated conversion. RedTrack suggests the following options:
- Create a new conversion: duplicate postback data will be added as a separate conversion
- Ignore duplicate Postback: no data will be added to the tracking report
- Edit conversion with new data: the original conversion will be edited with new data.
- Keep original data, increment payout: only conversion payout will be edited (for example, tracking subsequent sales for the same conversion)
To apply a certain duplicate mode choose it from the dropdown menu (on the right) next to the needed event type (on the left) and press Save:
Duplicate postback mode set in Conversion types prevails over the one set in your Offer source. For example, if you set the mode Ignore duplicate postbacks next to your conversion type, but your Offer source has the duplicate mode Create new conversion, no data will be added to the RedTrack tracking report in case several conversions were created by the same click id, as the system will choose to disregard the Offer source duplicate mode and go by the one set in your Conversion type.
3. The way to track the added events may differ depending on your Affiliate Network:
- if your network supports adding several postbacks on its side, add &type=Conversion_Type to your main postback URL.
It’s important to use exactly the same word you have set in your conversion type settings. So if it is “Upsell”, “upsell” will not work, use exactly “Upsell” with the capital letter.
- for ClickBank, AppsFlyer or any other Affiliate Networks use these guides for a reference or contact your Account Manager for advice on the correct postback usage.
4. Conversion information will be grouped by separate columns in your Campaigns statistics:
When they are used
Conversion statuses are used in the cases where your offer source (affiliate network, advertiser) supports several postback options and 4 is enough for you. In RedTrack we have 4 types of Statuses:
All of them are available as separate columns with separate statistics.
For your information:
We recommend using the Approved status as the default one to avoid editing Postback URL and simpifying the process.
How they are applied
1. When adding an Offer source choose the Approved status under the section Conversion status and press Save:
2. Once you’ve saved the Offer source, copy the created Postback URL and paste it to your offer source (affiliate network, advertiser) account under the target postback field:
3. If we do not receive any status data in a postback, by default, we record all conversions with the status Other, which can easily be changed in the settings of your Offer source.
Conversion statuses do not work for the Traffic sources with the API integrations (Facebook, Google, Bing). For such cases use Conversion types event tracking method instead.